I admit freely that I can’t quite cook quinoa perfectly. I always, and I mean always either under cook or over cook. For some reason or another it is never meant to be. So when I stubbled onto this recipe from Pinterest, I thought to myself that this might just be the ticket. An easy breakfast, with a breakfast cake like quality. Sold! Sold! Sold! A nice option other than regular oatmeal (which I also love!).
I love the dollop of Greek yogurt that adds more protein and nutrition. A definite must try.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 apples, peeled, diced
1/4 cup raisins
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (can substitute regular milk or soy…)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish (an 8-by-8 works too).
- In a small bowl, mix the uncooked quinoa with the spices. Pour into greased dish.
- Sprinkle the apple and raisins on top of the quinoa.
- In that same small bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk (of choice) and maple syrup.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the fruit and quinoa. Lightly stir to partially submerge the fruit. Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top.
- Bake for one hour or until the casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left.
- Allow to cool, and then cover and refrigerate. In the morning, cut a square, microwave it on a plate, and enjoy alone or with a few dollops of Greek yogurt
Makes 6 Servings